vital weekly - review

SUNDAY STRAIN – DESTINY.DONE (CD by Wrotycz)
It is suggested on the website of the label that we all know that Sunday Strain is a side project of Llovespell, but I didn’t hear of either bands. A duo, it seems according to the photo on the cover, of a singer and someone playing keyboards and drum machines. The latter results in a mellow form of techno based music along the lines of Basic Channel/Chain Reaction with a stronger emphasis on the ambient synthesizers than on the rhythms. Dorain W. sings and her voice reminds me of someone, but no matter how hard I tried, I don’t know. Alyson Moyett maybe, but perhaps a little less soulful? Its all quite pop music and these ten tracks are gentle, atmospheric, moody, but also uplifting. Maybe dreampop with a gothic undercurrent? Maybe something that is a bit out of place in Vital Weekly, but I thought it was finely entertaining, a gentle break in the middle of lots of experimental music. (FdW)